CHU 3 Roman Catholic convent

Original Filename: Convent.jpg (view)

Original Size: 8.5 MB

Original Image Type: image/pjpeg

CHU 3 Roman Catholic convent.

Caption

The  third in a series of photos on the Dannevirke  churches. Series title "Churches".

On Back : Post card about 1910

Description: Dannevirke became an independant and seperate parish in 1897 and the first St Joseph Church was built on the corner of Gertrude and High Street, opposite present 4 Square. A small wooden church was built on Allardice Street in 1900 and the current church built in 1952. The convent itself was built from 1910 with the contact to begin being signed on 12 October 1910, the foundation stone laid on 08 December 1910 and the official opening day 12 April 1911. This building was eventually replaced and demolished in 1987.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion