HOS 2 Public Hospital 1950

Original Filename: Hospital.jpg (view)

Original Size: 7 MB

Original Image Type: image/pjpeg

HOS 2 Public Hospital 1950.

Caption

The  second in a series of photos of the Dannevirke hospital Series title "Hospital".

On back "Dannevirke Public Hospital, main entrance 1950".

Description: A photo of the Dannevirke public hospital from across the road and slightly down hill of the main entrance. Up to the early 19th century Dannevirke patients were sent to Waipukurau hospital. The Dannevirke Hospital was started with a 600 pound donation by Henry Carlson, he would also later provide the land where the hospital was sited. It was designed by Ragnar Jensen with the community raising another 500 pounds in 2 days and the government providing 600 pounds. The hospital was completed in 1906 with an 8 bed mens ward and 2 rooms for women, 6 bed nurses quarters and a 3 bed servants quarters. There was also an administration block and operating theatre. By 1918 this included 4 childrens beds 17 bed nusrses home and x ray room. The main entrance would eventually be moved to the other side of the building and the hospital itself closed and demolised to make way for housing

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion