Lib 3 Public library

Original Filename: Library.jpg (view)

Original Size: 7 MB

Original Image Type: image/pjpeg

Lib 3 Public library.

Caption

The  third  in a series of photos of Dannevirke public library Series title "Library".

Description: This is an outside photo of the second library built in Dannevirke, The first Dannevirke library was housed in a wooden building where the Dannevirke Skatebowl currently is between this building and the old fire station on Allardice Street, this library was pubically run and founded. It is in fact in this shot on the right hand side. The  council took over in 1902 and the new library was one of 18 libraries funded by the Scotish philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who granted 2,000 pounds in 1906 and the new Carnegie library was to service Dannevirke till 1983 when the library would be moved to the Dannevirke council building. It remained there until the new library was opened under the then Tararua Library Trust in 1994.

The building itself is now used as the Carnegie Centre and houses the toy library

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion